Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ice Cream or Cupcakes?

How about both rolled in to one?

This weekend a bunch of my high school friends were all in town at the same time so we got together to hang out on Saturday night.  I decided I should probably bake something (well Mo and B decided that for me).  I got a cupcake cook book for my birthday and had been wanting to try something from it.  I did not want to have 24 cupcakes laying around so making them to take somewhere else seemed like a good plan.

I perused  the book for about 2 minutes before deciding on Rocky Road cupcakes.  I remember Rocky Road as a delightful ice cream flavor from my summer working at Baskin Robbins so I assumed it would make a tasty cupcake.
Rocky Road Cupcakes adapted from the book, Cupcakes Galore
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon slat
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 ounces dark chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/2 cup mini-marshmallows
1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus 1/2 cup for topping
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, plus 1/2 cup for topping
1/2 cup white chocolate chips for topping

1-Preheat oven to 350 F
2-Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder and set aside
3-Melt chocolate.  Beat in oil, egg and vanilla.  Alternately add flour mixture and milk.  Once batter is smooth fold in marshmallows, chocolate chips and walnuts.
4-Spoon batter into cupcakes (1/2 full).  Mix the extra chocolate chips and walnuts and sprinkle over the batter.
5-Bake for 20 minute or until done
I used my mini cupcake tin for some of them and cooked them just a few minutes less than the regular cupcakes.  The cupcake batter was not very sweet (the recipe did not call for sugar) but with the marshmallows and chocolate chips melted in, it got sweeter but not overly sweet.  I might add some sugar if I make them again.  Overall they were pretty good and I look forward to trying other recipes from the book.
What's your favorite flavor of cupcake?
What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?
What other ice cream flavors would make a good cupcake?
Perhaps a nice Mint Chocolate Chip or a Neapolitan?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you wear the lovely multicolored, heavy on purple, wipeable apron with cupcakes all over it that someone had to have much e-mail and phone corresponce over in order to have one UPSed by Christmas day because the first order was lost and the store in Calabash had sold out of, while making the cupcakes????

fojoy said...

Yum-a-doo!
Those look delish, I (read: Wilzie) might have to give them a try when we tire of the beets...

Amanda said...

YUMMMMM. Love.

What is it about cupcakes that make them so crazy good? I'd rather a cupcake than a cake any day of the week.

sara said...

Yum...cupcake and marshmallow...I'm in!

Lisa said...

I love that look of your cupcake. It really shows just how much goodness is stuffed into it. My favorite ice cream is cookies and cream. I have a linky party on my blog every week called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

Mo Young said...

I thought they were yummy! And I cannot even imagine what my fav cup cake is ... depends on my mood. I do heart good frosting tho. I have always had a soft spot for mint chocolate chip ice cream ... so this would perhaps be a good cupcake. Oh, you could do like a chocolate & york peppermint pati cupcake. This sounds good. Turtle ice cream could parlay into a good cupcake ... so many options. You should prolly just start making a new type every weekend.

Mary said...

Gosh, those sound and look divine!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary
Delightful Bitefuls

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh yum! That looks so good!!!

racing games said...

thanks a lot for the informative article. i am really interested to read more from you.

Bonnie said...

my favorite cupcake is still the ones you made with honey cinnamon icing, but mint chocolate chip would be awesome. You should try it.