Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Latin Chicken

I found the recipe for 'Latin Chicken' when I was searching for a different recipe. At one of my work social events someone bought in a sweet potato and black bean salad or compote of some sort. I thought it sounded neat so I started searching the Internet for sweet potato and black bean recipes when I came across this.....
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-latin-chicken/Detail.aspx

Harris Teeter frequently has a buy 1 get 2 sale of packs of chicken breast so I have a bunch of chicken right now. I don't like baking or pan cooking chicken because I always seem to make it dry and flavorless so I thought it was a good time to bring out my slow cooker. This recipe seemed like a good fit.

I substituted chicken breast for the thighs. I've never actually made anything with chicken thighs and I'm pretty sure breasts are better for you so...voila. Here's my adapted recipe based mostly on the original.....

Latin Chicken

1.5 pounds chicken breast
olive oil
salt
pepper
1 can black beans
1-2 sweet potatoes cut in to chunks (I used one big and one small)
a couple handfuls of frozen mixed bell peppers
1 cup of salsa
3/4 cup of chicken broth
a bunch of cilantro split in half (approximately 1/2 cup)
minced garlic (the kind in a jar that you can refrigerate)
teaspoon of cumin


limes for garnish


1. Brown the chicken for about 3 minutes on each side in some olive oil on a pan on the stove. Sprinkle some handfuls of chopped cilantro as well as salt and pepper while cooking.

2. Place the chicken in the bottom of a lightly greased slow cooker. Pour the can of black beans (after draining), frozen pepper and sweet potato chunks on top of the chicken. Mix the salsa, chicken broth, more cilantro, cumin and garlic together and pour over everything else.

3. I cooked this on high for 3 hours and then switched it to low for the last hour. I shredded the chicken after the first three hours. Serve with lime juice and hot sauce for garnish if you wish.


So I made this for my husband and my BFF. Both said that the chicken was tender and that it was delicious. They have both been known to lie, but swear they were telling the truth. I also liked it. So if you like chicken and have a crock pot, I would definitely recommend this dish. It's not hard and it tastes good.

Browning the chicken................




And I realized that using a potato peeler makes peeling potatoes a lot easier than just using a knife. I finally remembered that I had a peeler.





And here it is, the finished product.........





1 comment:

CAHÄ°DE said...

delicious meal!in my follow!let's meet again!