Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pumpkin Cupcakes

Apparently it was Boss's Day sometime last week.  One of my co-workers found out and suggested we all bring in treats on Friday to celebrate.  It was kind of funny though because our bosses didn't even know it was Boss's Day.  I thought this would be a great time to make some pumpkin cupcakes.  I had been wanting to make some for awhile but did not want to have 30 cupcakes in my house.  Cause if they were in my house.  I would eat them.  All.  In like 3 days.  I have seen so many amazing looking pumpkin cake and cupcake recipes online recently but I finally narrowed it to the recipe I saw on this blog.  I think she got it from another blog.  Anywho.  The honey cinnamon cream cheese icing stood out to me.

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Honey Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes-(Recipe from Very Best Baking as seen adapted on Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life)
Makes about 24 mini cupcakes and 12 regular cupcakes  (sorry I used two different pans)

1 package (18.25 oz.) spice cake mix
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
3 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake tins.

-Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl for about 3 minutes with a mixer.

-Bake mini cupcakes for about 11-13 minutes or until they are done and bake the regular sized ones for 20-22 minutes.

Honey Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup butter, softened
4 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. honey
2 cups powdered sugar
a splash of milk

Mix the butter until it's fluffy.  Then add in the cream cheese and mix those two together.  Add in the cinnamon and honey and mix together and then added in powdered sugar about a cup at a time until you get the consistency you want.  You can add some milk also to smooth it out. I put this into a plastic pastry bag and just squirted blobs on to my cupcakes.  It worked out pretty well.  If you hate pumpkin, this icing would probably still be good on a regular spice cake.  In other words, I loved this icing.

 
People at work loved these (ok well they ate them all).  If you want to impress people, make them mini cupcakes.  People are easily fascinated by miniature versions of normal things.

Did anyone else celebrate boss's day?
When is regular employee day?

8 comments:

sara said...

You had me at Honey Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. That sounds like something I want to have a few minutes alone with :)

Yeah, I despise my boss...so I ignored the day completely!!

L-FAB said...

these cupcakes were DELICIOUS!!!!

MariahSmile said...

that icing looks and sounds delicious! and that is coming from a sick girl that doesn't want to eat at all right now!

Bonnie said...

Honestly, i have never had a more delicious frosting. Im sure the cupcake was good too, but i couldnt pay attention to it because the icing was just amazing. JM: any special treats you make for my birthday in the future MUST have this icing.

Mo Young said...

Okay, I'm sold on this icing then. The minis are beautiful! And way to show your bosses some love! I did not participate in Boss's Day this year. And "Secretary's Day" (catch all for all "lower" employees is how I've seen it celebrated) is in late April sometime. At my prior two jobs my awesome assistantness was always acknowledged, but I don't need a day to show off my skillz. I live every day like it's shark week (and/or Secretary's Day).

Jenni said...

I sent my boss a "Happy Boss's Day" email. She would have liked your pumpkin cupcakes better for sure though. That icing sounds amazing!!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Those look great!!

Leesh said...

I need to try and make these before winter creeps up on us. I am really starting to enjoy anything pumpkin spice!