Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Making Myself have a Hott Bridesmaid Hairstyle!

This blog is mostly supposed to be about making stuff.  (It is obviously also about tv a lot if you have noticed).  So anyways, does creating a Hot Bridesmaid Hairstyle for myself for my friend's upcoming wedding count as making stuff?  I think it does. 
(getting 150 bobby pins stabbed in to my head circa 2006)

Ms. Acorn sent me an email a few weeks back asking if I would like to have my hair professionally done for her wedding as she is having a hair stylist come out to the venue to do her hair.  After much thought, I decided that I would do my own hair.
Reasons.....
1-I usually hate how my hair looks right after it is professionally done.  I got my hair done for my senior prom, came home, took it all down, and re-did it.
2-My hair is realllly thick which means when I get an up-do they have to put over 100 bobby pins in my hair.  How do I know that it's this many?  I have counted them upon removal.  Plus after about an hour, my head is not feeling so great.
3-Hairspray Asthma.  I actually had to go to the doctor one time after I had my hair done when I was a bridesmaid to get an inhaler b/c I got hairspray induced asthma from being in a closed up room with ridiculous amounts of hairspray for a long period of time.
4-Chance of accidentally getting the Beehive.  When Ms. Acorn got her hair done for Mo Young's wedding it pretty much ended up being a beehive style.  It actually looked pretty good in photos but we have made fun of her for years for wearing a beehive to Mo's wedding.
5-Dolla Dolla Bills Yo-From my past experience as a professional bridesmaid, getting your hair done can cost anywhere between $50 and $100.  I will save that money to buy more craft supplies.

So anyways, why am I writing this blog now?  Well I was hoping to get some suggestions or pictures of easy bridesmaid hairstyles that I can give myself.  I think maybe I should pull my hair up because it's going to be super hot that day but I'm open to ideas.  I have a hair straightener, a curling iron, some headbands, a bunch of bobby pins and rubber bands, and a hair brush.  My hair is thick and a little past my shoulders. 

And just for fun here is a picture of me with my best youth hairstyle ever...the short haired perm.  Geez mom.  No wonder I was never the coolest girl in school.

Hair ideas?  Do you like getting your hair done?  What's your favorite style?  Do you like my koosh ball earrings?

12 comments:

Chicken said...

I love the fact that you can't see your hands in the last photo, but that's OK because your hair is waving at the camera for you. Well trained hair!

Kayleigh said...

I'm not a fan of overworked wedding/prom hair... esp the kind that takes 300 bobby pins.

have you looked on The Knot?

Jenni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenni said...

I love the koosh earrings. I'm thinking you should make some to sell on your etsy site. Ok for your hair I think you should so just own the beehive. Or if you aren't that brave then part your hair in the side pull it back in a lowish ponytail with your hair wrapped around it. Okay I found you the directions and tried to comment with the link but had some difficulties. I'll e-mail it to you.

Shana said...

I'm not a fan of professionally done hair, but luckily have been working with the same person for a hundred years and he has perfected how to make my hair look professionally done. How he does it I have no idea because I tend to be hair challenged. However, I do know that he often starts with a ponytail. Then he works around and pins the pieces up to hide the actual elastic band.

I had a major do for my brother's wedding, complete with extensions. I started pulling bobby pins in the car on the way home...it was so itchy!

Salt said...

I HAD THOSE EARRINGS!!!!

Sadly I have no suggestions for you. I fail miserably in the hairstyle department. But I will say that if it's going to be a hot day, you should definitely do something up or else you will probably be miserable.

I wore my hair down to an outdoor wedding a couple weeks ago and it was 100 degrees and I didn't have a hair tie. I have never wanted to shave my head so much in my life.

JMJE said...

I definitely think this is the year that koosh ball earrings are coming back in style!

Mo Young said...

I love getting my hair done - but I have like half as much as u. And I figured out what u should do! Wig it! Yes, yes u should wear a prestyled wig. Then, u just put all ur hair up under a stocking cap and plop the perfectly coiffured (sp?) wig on ur head. Done. Five minutes tops in prep time. U'll be the classiest bm!

Hutch said...

As a bridesmaid I've always had someone do it for me...I suck at doing my hair and I have the opposite problem of a lot of fine hair so I can't even get volume on my own! However, I always, always, always take a pic with me. My inspiration mainly comes from googling celebrity up-do's.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

It sounds like we have the same kind of hair. Do you go to the same person to get it cut? If so maybe you can go to them and see if they can do something nice, even a down style but curls.

Anonymous said...

As I recall, you asked for that perm. I am an anti-permite.

Bonnie said...

I have been off the blog for too long, cant believe i missed this post.
I have a terrible memory as we all know, but i still clearly remember the day that I was in your house on Cascade Court and spotted the perm pic. It was gorgeous of course, and sooo memorable. I think a perm is definitely the way to go