Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Amish Friendship Bread-Look Shanzie, I did it.

So this girl I know, we will call her Shanzie, is always making this stuff called Amish Friendship Bread.  It is supposed to be a secret bread started by the Amish.  You get a starter bag of liquid mix from someone (probably Shanzie) and then you have to do all these steps for the next ten days and then finally you bake it on the tenth day.  It seems super hard.  But Shanzie is always offering me one of her starter bags.  Last time I accepted one I totally failed at actually making it.  So did Beezus5.  Apparently the guilt from not making it was too hard on Beezus5 and she's decided to never accept  a starter bag again.  I have decided to go for it since Shanzie offered me some more this week.  Although I did make her hold it and do all the steps up until 2 days before I was supposed to bake it.  I forget stuff.  So she did the first few steps for me.

I can't really give you the recipe as I do not know what was in the starter bag since it's an ancient Amish secret.  But I did have to add a bunch of sugar, flour, pudding, cinnamon, and milk to it.  And it's pretty good.  Although I'm pretty sure it's actually cake as opposed to bread.  I added some chocolate chips to a few of them.  Each time you bake a starter bag it creates four new starter bags.

I wish I could send my starter bags through the Internet to everyone who reads this blog but I think that might get messy.   I will have to force them on my mom and maybe try to make Beezus5 give it another shot.  Also please note that if you are giving this bread to someone that you have recently started dating, you are allowed to call it Amish more-than-friendship bread.  (I mean if you want to)

So has anyone ever heard of Amish Friendship bread?
Have you ever made it?
Would you consider something with 3 cups of sugar in it a bread or a cake?
Shanzie are you proud of me?


PS-Breaking news...you can actually look up how to make a starter bag on the Internet.  Don't tell anyone I told you that though. 

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally googled it! Now I have the secret too!
I don't think the Amish will know their top secret starter bag recipe is online (because they don't have electricity, let alone the internet) so I don't feel bad for borrowing their recipe hahah! PS yeah... totally a cake. Sid you try it? is it delicious?
Ok now that I think about it... 10 days is a super long time for anything let alone cooking some bread/cake. I need to find somebody like you did to do all the steps the first 8 days lol! Good move!

$hanzie said...

I am soooo proud of you! How did it turn out? And yes, while it is called Bread, it is more of a cake both in ingredients and consistency. But it is delicious. And yes, I discovered that you can find the original starter recipe online... do you think the Amish are mad about that?

I love that you got creative and put some chocolate chips in one. I have also made apple/cinnamon, rum, chocolate chip, and strawberry.

Also, if you have leftover starter bags and do not have 4 friends/lovers/more than friends/sexy friends to give them to, you can freeze them. But you need to freeze them on Day 1 of the process and then when you are ready again in several months/years/etc. you take it out and start the instructions on day 1 again. It is very handy.

Jenni said...

JM you need to put all baggies in your freezer stat! I hope it's not too late. Do you think you have 4 friends who want to be your Amish friend?

JMJE said...

I put two in the freezer, gave one to my mom, and left one on the counter. Probably need to dump that one.

Emily said...

I saw a Paula Deen episode with a lady who has kept her starter yeast growing for 20+ years! I thought it sounded gross and it may be a little different than the friendship bread starter. She just keeps her yeast growing in a big hurricane like vase.

Salt said...

I have not heard of it, but it looks delicious!

$hanzie said...

Also, jmje, I helped you in two ways this week. one, by giving you this delicious bread to make, and two, by giving you something to blog about. I can't believe that you write a blog called making stuff is fun and then you complained sooo much about making bread- bread is stuff. yummy delicious, not at all good for you stuff. :) you're welcome.

Shana said...

It looks delish. I really want to try this now. I'm going to have to do some research.

Also...I can totally appreciate the irony of a secret Amish recipe being available on the internet.

Anonymous said...

This is quite interesting and sounds pretty yummy! I think it may be more than a little above my baking skill set tho - so I won't be ordering any baggies. Also, I shall pray for all of y'all ordering the Amish bread baggies - to make sure ya don't go to Amish he** for breaking the secret. Naaah, y'all bakers are totally safe!

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

My friend lives in MO and she got if from a friend and it pissed her off -- she was like, you're giving me a gift and now i have to freaking DO SOME WORK because of it? :) She didnt' say if it was good or bad -- I don't' think she actually got anything out of it!

Bonnie said...

Though I am your friend, i will have to continue to decline the starter bag. You dont want me to get depressed when i fail do you? mostly im back to eating cereal and canned beans so baking bread is totally out.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh my gosh! My mom makes this stuff and it's so great! I bet yours was awesome!

L-FAB said...

i am very angry. i told you i ate the whole thing minus one slice. i was not aware this so called "bread" contained 3 cups of sugar...no wonder it was so good. guess i'll just have to go jogging.

JMJE said...

Don't worry L-Fab. Yours was just one of 5 loaves. So it probably only had like 1/2 a cup of sugar in the part you ate.