Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

How to Make Your Home into a Roaring Twenties Style Juice Joint...

As I have mentioned, I participated in a 20's themed Murder Mystery Party this weekend. My friend $hanzie hosted it at her house. While she was not in charge of the actual murder mystery story line and game, she was in charge of transforming her house into a Juice Joint, which is apparently a Twenties Style Bar. Now while she did not get the Live Jazz band or Fog Machine (as was suggested), I think she did a great job.

From $hanzie herself...
A How To Guide for Turning your House into a Jumpin’ Speakeasy from 1920. Things to Purchase: Everyone needs to know that as hard as it may be to believe, the Dollar Store is an excellent resource for parties. Here is a list of things I purchased at the local Dollar Store...
Plates,napkins, plastic utensils
Black tablecloths
Candles and candle holders for both my mantle and as centerpieces for the tables
Party trays for food
Then of course there were a few items purchased at Party City...
Gold fringe outlining my stairs to give the feeling of a stage
Plastic martini glasses and plastic cups (I know I used a lot of plastic and that is not super environmentally friendly but I had enough dishes to clean from cooking as it is)
Hobby Lobby...
Feathers- feathers are key but are a little pricey- I just bought a few and featured them on the mantle in a vase that I filled with wine corks. I usually have a vase filled with wine corks sans feathers anyway.
And from ebay, I purchased The Greatest Hits of the 20s for $4.95. it was great background music when the boys turned down the basketball game.
As well as, candy cigarettes to place around the party. (JMJE say-I think shanzie got these from the Internet as apparently stores don't sale them b/c it makes smoking seem "cool")
Ok, the rest of the things used to decorate were just found on the Internet, in other parts of my house, or at Tiffany’s place. I used the tablecloths to cover my end tables and put those in the middle of the room with dining room chairs around them to give it a lounge/restaurant feel instead of living room feel. We took a few pictures down and replaced them with simple black and white pics of Chicago and various speakeasies from the 20s. I didn’t print anything out on photo paper, just normal white paper and we taped them up to the walls. I found pics of labels under google images of Bath Tub Gin (popular thing in the 20s since gin and most other drinks were kept cold in bathtubs) and printed them out and taped them to wine bottles around my house. And I found an awesome “this thread is closed due to Prohibition” picture of a sign on the Internet and printed that out for my front door. Everything else was sort of just found- some old ash trays courtesy of B’s granny (JMJE says-those were Gammy's not Granny's), poker chips, decks of cards, etc.

Then Curly T or Tiffy as she is called by $hanzie made this awesome sign......
As far as the sign goes...It was actually an old sign from my tutoring place (academic development services). I just attached (with ghetto push pins) some fabric to cover up that writing. "The Juice Joint" was hand drawn onto some poster board and again attached by push pins. Doesn't really seem all that exciting/impressive when the process is described.

That is wrong T. I thought the sign looked awesome. The party would have failed with out it and the 20 food dishes $hanzie made. Overall they did a great work on the decor and it really completed the party. I especially liked when the police sirens started blaring right after the "murder" happened. $hanzie says it was just an amazing coincidence but I'm not so sure.

Rosie Marie, Owner of the Juice Joint takes one giant final drink as the party comes to an end!

7 comments:

Jenni said...

You guys all did a great job making the place into the Juice Joint. It looked fabulous!

Salt said...

That is so darn cool! I need to go to one of these parties (or buy a house so I have enough room to throw one).

Anonymous said...

I am thoroughly impressed - yesterday with the outfits and now with the location! Plus, love the "thread is closed" sign - that is a clutch decoration! MoYoung

bmellisen said...

It really was the attention to detail that put it over the top. Not pictured was a desk that was transformed into a piano, using what appeared to be a painted coat rack of some sort. And the Elliot Ness beer(apparently no one knew who Elliot Ness was), which was quite topical. And it allowed me to use my favorite word in a sentence. Topical. I never know if I use it right, but I still enjoy it.

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

This is super cool! I'm totally jealous. The detail is amazing!

Elle said...

What an awesome idea! You thought of every detail!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad you enjoyed my Childfree post. I have (had) a sister who was 10 years younger, so I know what you mean about that showing how much work it is. I also work in finance, and totally understand the need for a creative outlet after staring at spreadsheets all day! :-)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I've always wanted to go to one of these murder mystery parties!!! So jealous!